Monday, October 15, 2012

One of those days...

Ever have one of those days when you wake up feeling grumpy and as the day progresses, you find yourself getting grumpier and meaner by the minute? Nothing goes right. I had one of those days today. I spilled my first cup of coffee on my hand, accidentally kicked my dear puppy, got shampoo in both eyes in the shower, and could find nothing decent to wear. That's just in the first couple of hours too! So, I prayed hastily to God, read my bible readings for the day, and dashed out the door.

When I arrived at work, things did not improve. Everyone seemed tense, frustrated, and everything is in a jumble because we're remodeling, trying to put together cubicles (of which all the parts did not arrive). Usually I try to be a calming, positive influence, but today, inside myself, I was not calm and didn't even care, not one little bit! The words humble and humility kept popping up in my head, but my heart wasn't listening. I was almost relishing the mean spirit rattling around inside, which is not me. There is nothing I despise more than a mean spirit, especially if it is inside myself.

I arrived at home this afternoon and sat on the back porch a while. At first I was holding on to my bad mood with all my might. I was not going to get happy, thank you very much! I was going to enjoy my bad mood and to heck with it! Of course, God had other plans. (He always does.)

The birds were singing. The sun was shining and the temperature was perfect. Buddy kept licking my hand in consolation. Even Missy the cat was hanging around, eyeing me suspiciously. She's usually the creature in a perpetual state of moodiness so I think she didn't want to relinquish her reign over to me. I felt my spirit relax, despite myself. As my breathing deepened, I found myself closing my eyes and praying, my spirit humbled. Thoughts came of friends and family going through tough times. I began to pray for them, sincerely, with a whole heart, knowing God was listening. My spirit calmed down more. I started thanking God for all my blessings and seeing my whole messy day through His eyes. It was funny! I mean, seriously, a 50 year old woman carrying on like a toddler who badly needed a nap?  I did practically everything but get on the floor and throw a tantrum today. How could that not be funny? I started chuckling to myself. Then I started laughing outright! Good grief! Who cares about coffee and shampoo and what I wear to work? Who even cares if all the parts to our new cubicles didn't arrive or if a few customers were grumpy?  These things, too, shall pass. They always do. Compared to some things I've lived through, and others I know are living through now, the day I was having is a walk in the park. I live a wonderful life. I am truly a blessed woman. I thank God for reminding me of that...and even for laughing at me. 

James 4:10
Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.

No comments:

Post a Comment