Friday, October 19, 2012

Vacation--Day 1

Yep, we're taking a vacation over the next week and today was our first official vacation day. We're actually going further north in Colorado to spend a week with Alan's sister and brother-in-law, Kathy and Bill. We are beside ourselves with excitement and can hardly wait! Of course, we had to take a day off prior to leaving town to prepare for Kathy and Bill's impending arrival and for the trip itself. I have a list as long as my arm of things to do and things to pack pre-departure. (I don't have OCD, I don't have OCD, I don't have OCD!)

Of course, Alan has foiled most of my list today in one way or another, starting with the big breakfast. He knows a big breakfast, especially pancakes, knock me for a loop for at least two hours. Sneaky, isn't he? He keeps saying, "Oh, don't worry honey, we'll do that tomorrow before Kathy and Bill get here." What he's saying in the subtext is, "Don't you worry your pretty little head about it, sugar! Why don't you rest a while?"  Yep, Alan is sneaky that way. So, I've managed to have a manicure, clean the kitchen, run the dishwasher and...that's about it! Does he not understand the purpose behind my list? It's meant to make me feel frantic when I don't mark things off of it and...I'm frantic! Hmmm....sounds like a twisted plot to me! He likes seeing me get all worked up about things sometimes, just to watch the fireworks. Men!

In all seriousness, however, we're looking forward to getting away for a while into some of God's most beautiful country with two wonderful, lovely people who also happen to be family! I'm, of course, tempted to take another entire piece of luggage just for yarn, patterns, and needles so I'll have plenty to knit or crochet. I won't do it though. Everytime I take a lot of projects on a trip, I end up doing nothing. And if I take no projects, I end up feeling like someone cut off my air supply. I literally start jonesing for my knitting needles and yarn! It's not a pretty sight. In a compromise with myself, I'll take two four projects and be happy. Nothing too big. Just the yellow blankie that needs a little crochet edging on it...and the yellow scarf I'm halfway through...and the multicolor cowl I've just started and maybe some of the pretty rose yarn with a pattern for a shrug. (Seriously, who could resist taking this yarn when it so obviously wants to go?)


Of course, then there are my books and recent magazines and my writing paraphanelia. Oh, and I guess I should take some clothes... Maybe the extra suitcase isn't such a bad idea after all. Just the hardsided Samsonite and my brocade one. Plus a knitting bag and backpack....that will be it. Really. Honest.

Well, guess I better get off the computer and see if I can sneak in mopping the kitchen floor and taking out the trash before Alan catches on.  Love you all and will talk to you later!
 
P.S. Buddy gets to stay at a doggie dude ranch. Cool, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment